Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ubuntu login after you forgot the password

I recently started working in Ubuntu. Being familiar with windows I used to rarely start Ubuntu.
When I did after a long time I realized that I had forgot my password.
This was a common problem with lots of other people around me. They had to re-install Ubuntu as their only resort.
But here I would share the easiest way of changing the password.
Steps:
1) When in the GRUB bootloader, select the "recovery mode"
2) Then in the next screen select "drop to root shell mode"
3) Now if you do not know the username for which you want to change the password, then type "ls /home". This would show the name of all the user account.
4) After you know the username, type passwd <username>, example passwd yogiraj, here yogi is the username.
5) The shell would ask for the new password.
6) After the password has changed, type exit and you would come back to the shell prompt.

Now to start the GUI, type startx.

--Yogiraj

0 comments:

Post a Comment